Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Tonight...I'm Home

Hi all...
 
Let me just say that today wasn't a day that I really want to repeat any time soon.  Although I don't know the results of either one of my tests, they were both not fun (surprise!) so I'm glad they're both over.   
 
I began my day with a Gyn ultrasound.  (I won't go into any more details than that other than to say what woman wants to do that 3 days before Christmas!) And I ended my day with an MRI which took over 1 1/2 hours to do.  Poor Chad, sitting in the waiting room without a functioning Blackberry.  Wait...what about poor Kristie?  Oh yes, that's right...I wasn't exactly lying on the beach reading a good book.  No...picture being totally still inside a small tube that makes some crazy, crazy loud noises for 90 minutes.  No twitching, no coughing, no talking, no singing and certainly no stretching.  However, they do pull you out of the tube - you can't move however - to inject some contrast solution into a mini-IV they put in your arm. That was a nice break.    When they finally shut off the machine and pulled the ear plugs out of my ears, I realized that I had just gained a deeper appreciation for construction workers who use jackhammers all day long. 
 
So that was the not-so-great part of my day.
 
Want to hear the great part? 
You. Yep, you all floored me again.
 
My email last night wasn't intended to be a plea for help with Christmas preparations.  It was meant to just say, I DON'T WANT TO BE AT ROSWELL 4 days before Christmas. 
But when the 40+ emails rolled into my inbox throughout the day, each one with either a word of encouragement or an offer to make cookies, bring dinner, clean my house, wrap my presents, stuff my Christmas card envelopes...
 
But when I found out that someone was going to come over to watch my kiddos tonight so that I didn't have to go to Roswell by myself as I thought I would have to...
 
But when I got home at 8 PM tonight and someone had broken into my house to deliver a coffee cake...
 
But when I checked my voice mail and heard the news that a contingent of people are bringing me dinner, breakfast, treats, snacks...
 
But when Chad came home with two huge plates of Christmas cookies and an offer to bring dinner in the next day from a friend...
 
But when several people offered to watch my kiddos so that I can have some more time to prepare...
...But when all these things happened, I was truly floored.  In all honesty, I am embarrassed that I complained in my email.  And I am humbled that people who are just as busy - if not even busier - than I would prioritize loving me and my family.  And I am even more overwhelmed with how well the Lord is taking care of us through you. 
 
So, here's what I want you to know:  while you all cannot fix this, you are absolutely demonstrating to me the power of active love - whether that's measured by cookies baked or prayers prayed or words spoken or hugs given.    Whether you realize it or not, you are neon signs pointing me to my Heavenly Father...who is the Only One who can set all things right, who is the Only One who can go into the MRI tube with me, who is the Only One who is wise enough to guide us through this difficult chapter in our life's journey with Him.  
 
Where would I be without Him?  Without you?
 
And that, my friends, is what makes a hard day not quite so hard.
And that's what makes a day that - on one hand I don't want to repeat - go down in the record books as a good day.
And that's what makes the tears flow for good reasons down my cheeks.
 
Grateful.  That's about all I can say. Grateful.
With love,
Kristie

1 comment:

  1. Deareat Kris!

    I just wanted to say Hi to you.
    Today I got a Christmas card from your mom and knew your challenge.

    Lots of love and prayers from Japan.

    Mayumi

    ReplyDelete