Wednesday, January 26, 2011

And the Verdict Is...

Still uncertain.
(You would think that I am getting used to hearing that, right? Hmmm...not so much.)
So the scoop is that my tumor markers are still elevated; in fact, a bit higher even from last month.  However, my oncologist and I talked through her logic as to why I shouldn't yet be alarmed by this.  Her exact quote was, "You shouldn't lose sleep over this, Kristie."   And, after hearing her logic, I am comfortable with the approach she has laid out. 
In a nutshell, I will return to Roswell in 5 weeks to be re-scanned and do more blood work.  If the markers are again elevated and/or the scans are worse than the ones in December, then I will change my treatment from an anti-estrogen based therapy to a traditional chemotherapy (yes, that's correct, that means baldness).  If they are virtually unchanged or even better then I will continue with the anti-estrogen therapy.
So I get a break from going to see my breast oncologist for 5 weeks; although I love her to pieces, I'm thrilled about not having to return for scans until 2/28!. 
The only other thing to share with you - for today, that is (and you're so lucky to only have to read a short email from me!) - is that my surgery to remove my ovaries has been moved up.  I will have my laparoscopic surgery on 2/14.  Is that going to be a rockin' Valentine's Day or what?!? My childhood friend, Kathy, is having her mastectomy that day as well.  Do we Webster High School girls know how to put a twist on the way most celebrate this holiday, or what?!?
Thanks for your prayers today. 
We're doing well.
Off to school to have lunch with my kiddos.  
K.  
P.S.  Chad and I had an excellent trip to Colorado.  He skied Breckenridge and Aspen.  I shopped Breckenridge and Aspen.  He drove a 2 wheel, rear-wheel drive car through a blinding snowstorm.  I commented on how dumb it was for me to save $300 by not renting a 4-wheel drive SUV.  He ate buffalo tartare (yes, he didn't know it was raw meat either when he ordered it).  I ate brie.  We both went dog sledding and almost went off the trail and down a black diamond ski slope being pulled by 10 dogs; literally, we were up on one rail, 3" away from going over the edge.  Can you imagine?!?! My bones would not have liked that! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment