Thursday, September 12, 2013

Update #59


Easy news at Roswell!  Scans showed no disease progression.  Translated:  No yucky meds needed for (at least) the next 4 weeks! We are, however, going to try to up my current meds back to the original dosage to see if I can tolerate it without getting mouth sores.  The good news is that if I do start to get the sores,  I know I can cut my meds in half again and handle it just fine. The only side effect of these meds has been that I have some acne.  

Yes, that's right. Acne. 

"My name is Kristie Rush. I'm 41 years old and for the first time in my life I'm using acne cream."   
Does it bother me, you ask?  While, who in their right mind would like the North Star zit, the truth is that it doesn't bother me.  

IT.COULD.BE.SO.MUCH.WORSE.  

And, what's more, there is a hidden-blessing in all this: I have a new way to relate to my middle-school daughter and her friends as they navigate the woes of breakouts! (Hmmm…Is that being a bit too "Polyanna"?  Sorry. Still true!)  

So here's my story for you today. 

Went to bed with a little pit in my stomach.  Woke up this morning with a slightly larger pit in my stomach.  Drove into Roswell with that same darn pit.  As I drove, I thought to myself, "I wish today wasn't just about me needing encouragement from others."  

Don't get me wrong; I am so grateful for your encouragement. 
I don't know where I'd be without it. 
But, I will also tell you that abundant life – as least how I experience it – doesn't happen when I'm only on the receiving end.  
The paradoxical truth of God is that you are filled even more when you pour out.   

So, amidst the thoughts of "Oh crap; why do I have to do this today" and "What if the news is hard?" and "Oh Lord, please help me", the thought of, "Too bad today wasn't a day for pouring out" was running through my mind. 

Ha. Love it when God shows up and changes everything.

To preserve confidentiality, let me just say this.  God presents opportunities at times when we least expect Him to.  
Without us orchestrating anything.  
Without us having any idea that we've just been invited by Him to participate in His unfolding plans. 

By just asking someone a question of, "So, how did the move to the apartment go?", I got to participate in almost 30 minutes of listening and encouraging and speaking truth and offering hope to someone that I would consider almost a stranger. Certainly not a friend. Certainly not someone I ever expected to have a conversation like that with.  

In the midst of needing to be poured into (by you all!), I had the opportunity to pour out.
And it was joyful.
And life-giving.
And surprising.
And persepective-shifting. 

Yet I almost missed it.
I almost missed it because I tried to avoid this person in order to get out of Roswell faster today.
I got my "easy news" and I wanted to bail and "get on with my life."

Who knew that my life was supposed to be lived today a bit longer at Roswell? 
Who knew that, NOTHING else in my day – not even a trip to Starbucks for my celebratory Iced Peppermint Mocha – would be more important than that conversation.
Who knew that the need to pour out was right there before my eyes?

Not me.
But the One who reigns did.

And I got to experience being a part of Him revealing Himself to someone.
And it was good.

Easy news at Roswell was received by me.
Life-changing news at Roswell was given by me.

Now that's something to celebrate.

Love you and thankful for you,
K.


No comments:

Post a Comment